Hemming and tape bracelets!

November 20, 2006

I hemmed my first pair of pants. This is huge. Oh, don't you so what? me! You don't know how hard it is for me to find a pair of pants that fit me nicely and that I like. If I do find a nice fit, they are almost always a foot too long. I'm short. Not leprechaun short or elf short, but still shorter than clothes designers want me to be. And I have wide hips but a smallish waist.  Anway. I finally found a nice pair of chocolate colored linen pants while a-thrifting for $2. They are H&M and really cute and they look decent enough on me, but no lie, they were at least a foot too long. Are you all this tall? I decided it was time to try hemming pants. I did it. It was easy and I'm going to do it again. I think I hemmed them both the same length too! Amazing. This sewing thing is so handy.
——————-
Now, Keely and I were going to make some nature bracelets today out of packaging tape. Fancy, huh? The idea came from MS Kids I think. You are supposed to wrap a piece of tape, loosely, sticky side out around a kiddos wrist-and go about hunting for nature bits to stick on it. Then, put another piece of tape on top of it to seal it together. Tie it off however you like when it's done. Well, we weren't out the door yet and she was getting upset about the tape sticking together and twisting on her, so we quickly opted to just go for a walk and bring a bag to collect things in.
We came home and she picked out what she wanted on her bracelet. Mostly she wanted dandelions.
The tape didn't stick down too well on those chunky bits though.
 So we made another one with flatter leafs and such.
They'd be cute little bookmarks or place cards too for kids to make.
I also let her loose with some glue and leaves.
I working on giving her more opportunities to create. She's been drawing and painting, but I think it's time that glue, glitter, markers come into play now. I'm also getting together some other stuff for her to explore with indoors during cold weather. I'll share those things later.

Filed under: child related activities,random chatter

17 Comments Leave a Comment

• 1. laeroport  |  November 20, 2006 at 4:56 pm

What nice autumnal crafts. as for indoor/cold weather crafts, Eliot really likes lacing cards. They sometimes will hold his attention for a whole 10 minutes. :) Plus, they don’t make a mess.

And nice hemming, friend.

• 2. capello  |  November 20, 2006 at 5:10 pm

we are all about the sticky tape here. sticky tape and scissors.

i should buy stock.

• 3. Jennifer  |  November 20, 2006 at 5:15 pm

What a cute craft! I love the ones that use stuff I have on hand. Hopefully I can find more on a nature walk than a cigarette butt and a pizza flyer. Kudos on the hemming, I often wish that they would put in those adjustable waistbands like they do on my 5 year old’s pants.

• 4. Jennifer  |  November 20, 2006 at 5:16 pm

By the way pants are an evil invention, I say back to skirts all the time.

• 5. kirsty  |  November 20, 2006 at 7:09 pm

Congratulations on the hemming! I did NOT laugh. Hemming is a Good Thing.

It would appear that you are about to enter the Sparkle Years. Be prepared for fairy dust in your vacuum cleaner bags for the next decade. We also had the Confetti Years (some overlap) when my daughter snipped her way through twenty five acres of pine tree plantation.

• 6. Emy  |  November 21, 2006 at 3:24 am

Great job on the pants! And those bracelets are sooooo pretty! I love when crafts for kids turn out looking really nice instead of really cheesy. :D

• 7. LLA  |  November 21, 2006 at 7:31 am

I’m totally impressed with the hemming! I’ve never hemmed anything, and I imagine it to be quite tricky.
    (Of course, I’ve never hemmed anything b/c I’m 5’9″, and I like to wear shoes with heels – my trick is finding something (anything!) long enought…)

Clever, clever sticky tape bracelets and bookmarks… Love ‘em.

• 8. beki  |  November 21, 2006 at 11:04 am

Ooo, I love that bracelet idea! This may be something we attempt.

• 9. molly  |  November 21, 2006 at 2:09 pm

yay for hemming! and so perfectly the same size, too!
    that second picture is amazing and I love the look of those nature bracelets. I’m definitely going to try that. Maybe even as a craft with the kids coming for thanksgiving. I LOVe it!

• 10. lera  |  November 21, 2006 at 5:38 pm

those are cute little bracelets. i remember seeing those before, but never tried them with the boys. i’m not sure how my boys would feel about bracelets.

and, i have to say that i wish my legs were shorter and could find pants that are long enough. i have the opposite problem! it’s hard to find pants that aren’t high-waters.

• 11. Stephanie  |  December 3, 2006 at 1:30 am

I was really worried about hemming pants for a while, too! It’s like, I don’t wanna mess them up or something… Heck, if I can make a purse from scratch (among other things) I should be able to rip out a seam or two and hem it up again, right?

I still get worried about hemming… Even though I do it to all of the pants I buy.

I’m 5’5″, but I must have short legs, or something… Even the short length is usually too long. O well. Gives me more reason to sit down & sew. :D

• 12. gori propeller&hellip  |  May 10, 2007 at 2:25 am

gori propeller…

ha-rd-po-rn-fu-ck 4295498 Relevant gori propeller…

• 13. Ashleigh  |  March 26, 2008 at 7:04 am

Love that idea! My 7 year old is just getting into reading and is still wayyy into bracelets and nature. For that matter so am I :) I see many new book marks and bracelets in our future. Thanks!

• 14. Tine  |  March 26, 2008 at 3:13 pm

Thank you! Thank you!
    I have made the decision, that most Christmas-presents from my family next year will be handmade -and preferably by ourselves. And this -as a bookmark- will be the perfect present for the kids to give their granddad (the avid reader ;-D)

• 15. Ruži?aste narukvice - Š&hellip  |  May 24, 2009 at 4:48 pm

[...] ideja je sa Maya Made bloga, a varijantu sa selotejpom ugledah malo pre (Colorfool), na Crafy Crow blogu, gde možete prona?i još puno ideja za aktivnosti u prirodi, pravo je vreme [...]

• 16. Barb Shelby  |  July 31, 2009 at 12:16 pm

What a wonderful nature bracelet and book mark!

I’m in the process of putting together Fall themes for a new website: http://www.KidActivities.net…a site for child care professional, teachers and anyone who loves doing things with kids!

The two photographs would be perfect for the Autumn and Nature Category. Would it be possible to use the pictures? Of course I’ll credit this site for your courtesy. Please advise.

Thank you for your consideration.
    Barb Shelby :-)

• 17. Sally  |  March 21, 2014 at 11:28 am

Contimue through the reat of the page adding your profit, catalog icon image, etc.
    If you’re creating your own graphics, create a background image
    that is a seamless tile, in as small a file size as you can
    makee it. Get to know distinct poses, shade suitability and light situations.

my blkg … imvu credit generator (Sally)