Yak, Yak, Yak

April 16, 2007

So we had a few lovely days of beautiful spring weather, family visits, and naps (me).

And then some grey and rain.
There has been some productivity around here too. My hubby has taken up drawing a little more seriously these days and wanted something to keep his pencils and things in, so I made him a little art roll.
Let's not talk about how long this simple thing took. This simple thing that I've made before and know how to do!  My brain is just not working lately. A bit cloudy and grey in there too I think.

And then do y'all remember when I was all like, "Hey, I'm gonna make Mr. bunny a little wool coat?" HA!  I KNOW I can't sew clothes…but I did try and failed. Failed. Failed.

I do not know how to sew sleeves on a little arm hole. Nope. It was going to be so cute- with these bitty pearly buttons down the front and a floral print pocket to match his carrot bag. Not now. Not going to be cute and not finishing it. I'm just leaving it lay around so I can laugh at it. You are an embarrassment- you silly coat.  You and your pathethic one arm sewn backwards  sadly hemmed self.
Boy is this post all over the place…better than nothing though.

I haven't been out thrifting much, maybe twice in the last month! I'm just not as interested (we've got enough junk), I'm too tired, and they've raised some of their prices. Boo.  However, on last week's brief trip, I found this nifty little school cart.

I think it's for books, but Keely is calling it her "couch WITH WHEELS!" and scooting through the house with it. fun. I do that on my couch all the time, don't you? It was $3. Awesome. I'm half tempted to make couch-like cushions for the bottom and the back. Ah, that would amuse me. A bitty rollie couch with cushions.

Alright, now we are going back to sewing talk… while I was on a sewing kick, I started trying to make Keely a doll sling and again, the brain is not computing. I completely fade out while I'm measuring, then while I'm cutting–well, during every step actually…makes for some lovely mistakes. Maybe I'll figure it out by my next post. Until then.

*I'm having some email problems and haven't been able to personally reply to anyone for a few days. Hopefully, I get that fixed today. I'm still reading your comments, I just can't answer. sigh.

Filed under: random chatter,stuff i've made,thrifting

18 Comments Leave a Comment

• 1. lera  |  April 16, 2007 at 8:57 am

That little rolling couch/shelf would look adorable with some cushions. What fun Keely (and baby) will have with a rolling couch. What a great little find.

• 2. capello  |  April 16, 2007 at 9:01 am

i think the rabbit needs a little sun dress, not a woolen coat for the warmer weather.

and keely totally needs cushions for that. absolutely.

• 3. Melissa  |  April 16, 2007 at 9:29 am

I love the rolling couch and adding cushions would be a great idea!

Here are two kid slings/pouch with instructions for you that I found on the internet:

• 4. laurie  |  April 16, 2007 at 9:58 am

Happy to see you this morning!

Here’s some more peer pressure: Keely needs the cushions!!

• 5. Natalie  |  April 16, 2007 at 10:02 am

You sound SO pregnant! You’ve taken me back to five different first trimesters. It felt like I was doing everything in a thick, nauseated fog. It also sounds like you are keeping your sense of humor, which is helpful in all circumstances. For what it’s worth, I think your ambitions and results are impressive. Keep it up and be well.

• 6. Felicia  |  April 16, 2007 at 10:25 am

What a great find that couch on wheels was! Lots of potential there! I know just exactly what you mean about Mistakes. I finally drug a box full of Creature Mistakes out to my craft booth this weekend and I couldn’t believe that I nearly sold out of them right away. I guess everyone likes a bargain and these guys had gone so horribly wrong that I had them marked down to a buck each.

• 7. sia  |  April 16, 2007 at 11:13 am

Ooh – I love that couch on wheels.
    And I like that pencil thingie too {any instructions?}! I need to make one myself to carry all my stuff…

cheers from {sorry…} sunny Amsterdam

• 8. laeroport  |  April 16, 2007 at 11:27 am

Love the couch with wheels. You MUST make cushions! And oh, honey, this is why I only make wee-wonderfuls dolls that are already clothed. No sleeves to skew. And I have not been pregnant for more than three years, but I still manage to screw up a pencil roll nearly every time I make one.

• 9. Amy  |  April 16, 2007 at 11:28 am

Hey – I’m not pregnant and I am in a creative slump too so…. my point? ?? Anyway, yes, a rolling couch would be v. popular over here too I think. Need that.

• 10. madmommy  |  April 16, 2007 at 11:33 am

Yes, I agree with the earlier comment…a sundress would be adorable for the bunny.
    And I LOVE the couch on wheels. Sounds like something every mom should have…

• 11. DaisyCake  |  April 16, 2007 at 11:38 am

you can make Mr. Bunny a cute vest instead! No sleeves!
    And I totally think you should make cushions for the couch on wheels!

• 12. LLA  |  April 16, 2007 at 12:08 pm

Whether it’s a cart or a lil couch with wheels – that’s got to be the $3 find of the year! Go for you…

And as for the rest of it, how your brain’s not working properly – ummmm, your body’s focusing all its energy and resources on other areas, y’know? You can kiss any “thinking” goodbye until well after November! :)

kiss kiss!

• 13. ailikate  |  April 16, 2007 at 12:28 pm

Your post made me smile, my little one is almost 5 months and I’m just starting to feel like I’m coming out of that fog. Mainly on the days when I’ve gone bed when the baby does. Take care of yourself, and don’t worry about cushions. Without them, it can be a cart or a wagon or a “couch with wheels” or flip to be a desk or so many other things.

• 14. Chara Michele  |  April 16, 2007 at 12:43 pm

i totally think cushions on that rolling cart would be adorable! although you probably feel like you have plenty to do at this point:)

• 15. nihal  |  April 16, 2007 at 2:59 pm

lovely “couch”. i think it will look cute with some cushions. i love the pencil case. and as for the tiny coat.. it looks lovely anyway, maybe the bunny is a punk so s/he rather to wear it this way? :)

• 16. Elizabeth  |  April 16, 2007 at 11:29 pm

A quick suggestion for your little garment there…raglan sleeves sometimes are easier especially for smaller holes to sew in. Fun reading here, I come often!

• 17. Anna  |  April 17, 2007 at 3:00 pm

Another quick little suggestion. When making tiny coats, dresses, etc, attach the sleeve to the shoulder before you sew up the side seams of the body. Then you can sew body side seams and underarm seams all in one.

Great little cart, by the way! Definitely calls out for cusions :-)

• 18. Selah  |  May 3, 2007 at 2:14 pm

I’m having super thrifting jealousy right now! Those carts are sold for storing/moving wooden blocks and cost $$$! Good score and it’ll be a perfect couch and probably many more things in the future. Did I mention how jealous I am? :)